Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Touching Artwork - Example B

 Here is another piece of art that captured our heart and soul. We spent a long time admiring this marble sculpture of Jesus.

"Christ Bearing the Cross" (1521) by Michelangelo 
in the Basilica of Santa Maria sopra Minerva near the Pantheon in Rome.
In this beautiful marble sculpture we saw a strong and muscular Jesus courageously bearing the cross. In his left hand he holds ropes and nail that will be some of the tools used to crucify him. 
The way he is looking forward, looking ahead, not down, reminded us that He willingly obeyed the Father and atoned and died for all of us. He heroically freed us from sin and death. The artist must have studied the life and mission of Christ to have portrayed him in such a profound way. 

"And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil - " 3 Nephi 27:14 



No comments:

Post a Comment